Monday, April 06, 2009

Back to School

So, I just got up early & saw Carole & Kiki off to their first day of the new school year. Carole is now in 4th grade & Kiki is in 3rd grade. Today is a special day because they get to find out who their new teacher is. Here in Japan, every year, they mix up the teachers between grades & even schools. So, for example the 3rd grade teacher this year might be the 6th grade teacher next year or teach at a different school all together. I find it very difficult to get to know every one on the school staff & keep up with all the names, etc.

Last year by some freak of nature Carole got the same teacher she got the year before. An older lady who is nice but quite slow-paced & not very challenging. So, today she had her fingers crossed for a more energetic teacher.

Leila doesn't start Kindy for another day, but the kindergarten moms decided to steal our last day of freedom for a kindergarten classmates sakura picnic. And, anyone who knows me will know that I am not a fan of these type of "get togethers". So, I guess right after this post I will attempt to make a fancy picnic lunch for the kids because I often find that at these types of functions the Japanese moms are very curious about me: "Let's see what the gaijin mom is giving her kids for lunch."

"Sorry ladies. Hate to bore you, but I think I will make onigiri too, like you, & fried chicken & cherry tomates & strawberries, & bring mugicha for the kids to drink".

Which reminds me of something else I have to rant about. Japanese doctors & moms will be all "tsk tsk" that you give your kids juice to drink instead of mugicha (tea), all the while they allow their kids to eat so much candy & sugary sweets. I just don't get it. How could 100% apple juice possibly be worse for the teeth than candy?

Anyway, so it's back to the grind for us today. I hope y'all are enjoying your spring!!

1 comment:

Hanna said...

Haha, Gaijin. Oh, I made onigiri for Tom's lunch too and he liked it...was all proud of myself.
And I also give my kids apple juice for lunches, although water would actually be best. Me, I HATE those get-togethers cuz I am the youngest and other Moms try to "mother" me and I feel like, geesh, I have been effing married for longer than some of you guys...!!!
whatevs to stuck up moms